macOS, things I don't like and fixes

Hey guys, I was talking to some coworkers about the three biggest things I don't like about the default macOS system and decided to find workarounds for them this morning.

The first problem that I can't stand is the fact that when I "close" an application, the application continues to run in the background and has that taunting black dot under the application to remind you that it is still running. I guess I just grew up using Windows and want the OS to assume that if I exit an application, it should actually quit the application. I used to just repetitively hit the command+q to work around this but I want you all to know there is a much simpler solution. Download the application RedQuits and after it has been downloaded and setup, any application will stop running the application as soon as you hit the red x associated with that application.

The second problem that really annoys me is the fact that when I go into full screen, the menu bar associated with that application is hidden and I have to hover over the top of the screen just to see what options I have to make modifications. This is especially frustrating when I use Microsoft products on macOS. In order to fix this, I installed the application RightZoom and set it up to where when I click on the green expand button, it doesn't hide the menu bar. If I'm on Netflix or some other streaming service and decide that actually do want the entire screen to be consumed by the application, all I have to do is hold down shift and click the green expand button and it will go completely full screen.

And finally, the biggest change that I wanted on my Mac was for me to be able to move an application only take up half of the page. To do this, I installed Magnet, an app that lets you drag items to the corner of the screen and only take up a portion of the screen. This app does cost money but hey, you already paid for a Mac, what's a couple more bucks to make your Mac even more user friendly.

I know that this blog is focused on machine learning and this has absolutely nothing to do with machine learning, but I hope it can help out some frustrated Mac users who have switched over from a Windows recently or have been long time Mac users and are annoyed by these issues as well.

Thank you for reading and come back if you are interested in getting helpful tips on machine learning and data science resources!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Save yourself a future headache and learn the command line

"A New Hope" for Computer Science students

Git is my version control system of choice